This Keto Beef and Cabbage Creamy Casserole includes ground beef, a creamy dairy sauce, a slight kick with jalapeno, and a cheesy topping! It’s a quick and easy casserole to make, but still the ultimate comfort food!
If you can’t tolerate spicy foods, don’t worry. The amount of dairy involved here really calms down the spice! Also, feel free to remove the seeds/membrane from the jalapeno, if you want it to be even less spicy. I personally didn’t, but we eat a lot of jalapeno, so we’re used to it.
The cabbage didn’t quite taste like cabbage in this casserole, after the slow cooking. To me, it ended up tasting more like cauliflower. I used a lot of cabbage, but the flavor wasn’t overpowering at all! In fact, the flavors all seemed to fit together quite well, resulting in a very creamy and satisfying outcome.
Dutch Oven or Casserole Dish
I used a 10 in. dutch oven for this recipe. You could easily use a casserole dish as well. With dutch ovens, you can cook with them on the stove, as well as in the oven for purposes of slow cooking. Thus, we get a beneficial ‘one-pot’ meal. (I am sure everyone wants to do fewer dishes!) With a casserole dish, it’s shallower, but still designed for baking (slow cooking) as well. Either approach is fine, but I will outline this recipe towards using the dutch oven!
Hope you enjoy!
Keto Beef and Cabbage Creamy Casserole
- 8 oz Grass Fed Ground Beef
- 1/4 cup Chopped Yellow Onion
- 1 medium Chopped Jalapeno
- 1/2 medium Green Cabbage
- 1/2 cup Italian Diced Tomatoes (Canned)
- 3/4 cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1.5 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2 tsp Pink Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp Fresh Parlsey Topping
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F, 177 degrees C.
- Remove the outer layer of your cabbage if necessary. Then, rinse it until clean. Lay the cabbage down on a cutting board and cut it in half vertically.
- We'll only be using half the cabbage, so place one-half back into your fridge.
- Cut your cabbage as small as necessary, to fit into your food processor. Add your cabbage to your food processor and shred completely. Set aside.
- In your 10 in. dutch oven, cook your beef, onions, and jalapeno over medium-high heat, until meat is browned and cooked completely.
- Add your shredded cabbage to the dutch oven, over the top of the meat and vegetables mixture.
- In a small mixing bowl, add your diced tomatoes, sour cream and heavy whipping cream. Whisk together. Pour over the top of the cabbage in the dutch oven.
- Add all spices/seasonings: salt, pepper, oregano and garlic. Mix everything together completely.
- Place your lid on your dutch oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes has passed, take your casserole out of the oven. Top it with all of your shredded cheese.
- Place casserole back in the oven, uncovered, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Top with fresh parsley.
- Serve and enjoy!!