This recipe includes Keto (Air Fryer) Pickle Brined Fried Chicken Drumsticks. The drumsticks are bursting with flavor and are very tender. To complement the chicken drumsticks, a creamy and velvety pickle sauce is included.
Pickle Juice & Health Benefits
I have been pretty tired this week. Likely because of the weather, or simply from doing too many things at once. I am sure most of you can relate! I’ve heard from many to drink pickle juice when feeling run down. Thus, this recipe is full of pickle juice! Can you believe the benefits associated with pickle juice?
Quite frankly, pickle juice works! My energy has suddenly resurfaced and I am no longer ready for a nap. Apparently, pickle juice can lower blood sugar spikes in healthy adults, has a variety of antioxidants, and reduces muscle cramps better than water. Because on keto our electrolytes can get a bit imbalanced, pickle juice can serve as a great help!
I didn’t tell my husband the sauce I had made and his first responses to what he thought was in the sauce included dill, sour cream, cayenne, and some pickle. Thus, the pickle is not overpowering, but includes just enough to truly make a very positive impact!
Preparation of Keto (Air Fryer) Pickle Brined Fried Chicken Drumsticks
For the chicken, I actually used existing pickle juice as a brine for the chicken drumsticks. I used leftover liquid from my store-bought pickles, but you can buy actual pickle juice as well. I placed all of the liquid in a large ziploc bag and allowed it to marinate for a few hours. It ended up being the perfect brine! Then, I coated the chicken in flour and allowed it to cook in the air fryer. I was very happy with the outcome of this meal. With resurfaced energy, I think I’ll have to incorporate more pickle juice moving forward!
I feel like pickles are either a love or hate situation. What about you – do you love pickles, or do you hate them? Let me know below.
Hope you enjoy!
Keto Air Fryer Pickle Brined Fried Chicken Drumsticks with Creamy Sauce
- 6 large Chicken Drumsticks
- 2 cups Pickle Juice
- 2/3 cup Blanched Almond Flour
- 2 tsp Pink Salt
- 1.5 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp Marjoram
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne
- 4 tbsp Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup Pickle Juice
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Dried Dill Weed
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne
- Pinch of Xantham Gum
- Using leftover liquid from store-bought pickles (or from buying your own pickle juice), pour the pickle juice into a large ziploc bag.
- Add your chicken drumsticks. Allow the chicken to marinate in the fridge for 3-4 hours.
- After 3-4 hours, preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F, 204 degrees C.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add your almond flour. Next, add your spices/seasonings: salt, pepper, italian seasoning, marjoram, and cayenne. Mix together.
- Add the chicken to the flour mixture. Coat evenly via all pieces of chicken.
- Place the chicken in your air fryer basket.
- Air fry for 14 minutes.
- After 14 minutes, flip your chicken. Reduce heat to 360 degrees F, 182 degrees C. Allow to air fry for another 24 minutes.
- In a small serving bowl, add your sour cream, pickle juice, garlic, dill, xantham gum, and cayenne. Stir until completely combined.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.