We eat a fair amount of chicken and I am always trying to find ways to ensure the meat is tender and not boring! This Keto Braised Brown Sugar & Beer Chicken recipe was a very successful way of meeting these goals! The chicken meat nearly fell right off the bone. The brown sugar flavor is evident, while the beer is not overpowering, but really quite complementary! It results in a very light and refreshing dish, with both sweet and savory components. As always, I couldn’t have just sweet components: there is a tiny bit of red pepper incorporated as well.
KETO BROWN SUGAR:
Of course the ‘brown sugar’ I used was actually Sukrin Gold (keto friendly brown sugar). If you’ve never tried it, you can purchase it here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076KQTPT5/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B076KQTPT5&linkCode=as2&tag=ambersketokit-20&linkId=e1d683279a4d385c23db0c3fcfa34a18
KETO BEER & GRAVY:
For those also wondering how beer can possibly be keto, I have an answer! I used a bottle of Michelob Ultra Superior Light Beer. For 16 oz of this beer, there are only 3.5 carbs! Not bad. As I’ve stated in the past, I am not a drinker, and I prefer not to drink alcohol, as I believe it causes hormone disruptions (at least for me). However, cooking with alcohol is a bit of a different story!
After braising my chicken with brown sugar and beer (along with other ingredients noted below), I made a gravy with the leftover braised liquids. After simmering the liquids in an uncovered pan, I’m sure the majority of the alcohol was cooked off! Maybe around 10% remained, which is very little overall.
This dish was definitely successful and something I’ll plan to make again soon! I am stating this can serve 4 people. In reality, it’s probably more appropriate for those who eat 1-2 meals a day. We personally consumed this for lunch (after having cookies for breakfast – ha), and thus my daily macros resulted in 20 carbs, 11 fiber, 138 g of fat, and 83 g of protein – 1,600 calories total. This breaks down to 77% fat, 21% protein, and 3% carbs.
Keto Braised Brown Sugar & Beer Chicken
- 16 oz Chicken Leg Quarters (2 pieces)
- 2 tsp Pink Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 4 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 6 tbsp Brown Sugar (Sukrin Gold)
- 16 oz Michelob ULTRA Superior Light Beer
- 1 medium Bay Leaf
- 6 sprigs Thyme
- Liquid after Chicken Cooks
- 2 oz Original Cream Cheese
- 1/2 tsp Xantham Gum
- Salt - to Taste
- 1 frozen bag Cauliflower Florets
- Salt & Pepper - to Taste
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp Parsley Flakes
- 1/4 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- Season your chicken with the salt, pepper and garlic. In a pan, over medium-high heat, add all your butter.
- When the butter is melted, place the chicken skin side down. Allow the chicken to brown for a few minutes. Flip the chicken and allow it to brown for at least another 2 minutes. Once browned, set chicken aside.
- In your pan, add the remaining ingredients: red pepper flakes, brown sugar, beer and bay leaf. Stir together; bring ingredients to a boil.
- Return chicken to the pan, skin side down. Add thyme on top of the chicken.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cover pan with lid. Let chicken simmer for 15 minutes.
- Flip the chicken after 15 minutes. Let simmer for another 15 minutes (covered), or until chicken reaches a fully cooked temperature of 165 degrees F, 74 degrees C.
- When chicken is fully cooked, remove from pan. Also, remove and throw away the thyme and bay leaf.
- Continue to simmer the liquids in the pan. Use a spatula to ensure all the drippings are removed from the bottom of your pan so that the gravy contains all the great flavor.
- Next, add cream cheese and xantham gum.
- Once cream cheese is mostly melted, use a whisk to whisk the cream cheese until fully incorporated.
- Add salt if necessary. Simmer uncovered for 5-10 minutes. Then serve via gravy boat.
- Microwave your frozen bag of cauliflower florets. Place in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add the salt, pepper, garlic, parsley, butter, and heavy whipping cream to the mixing bowl. Use an immersion/hand blender to fully blend the cauliflower, dairy, and seasonings.
- Serve with fresh parsley and gravy! Enjoy!