Every time I think about this keto baked brie with brown sugar pecan glaze recipe, I decide I need to make it again urgently. It’s so decadent, rich, and sweet! You definitely get a ton of gooeyness from the brie, crunch from the pecans, and sweetness from the glaze. You won’t even believe how easy this is to make!
A1C ON CARBS:
I laugh, thinking about the things I eat nowadays. Who would’ve ever thought I could have brie with a (keto) sugary glaze for breakfast?! I used to eat cereal, oatmeal, pancakes, etc., of which I thought was very healthy. Little did I know at the time, I was causing inflammation beyond belief with all the carbs and I was really just hurting myself. In fact, my A1C used to be about 9, growing up, when I was a carb-a-holic.
TYPE 1 DIABETES:
As a reminder, I am a Type 1 diabetic. Type 1 diabetes is autoimmune disease that destroys the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas. It is not caused by diet nor can it be cured by any diet. However, having great blood sugar control is the best defense when handling this lifelong disease.
In fact, my latest A1C was 5 percent, which I just found out today! To me, this is pretty astonishing. In fact, for someone who doesn’t have type 1 diabetes, a normal A1C is below 5.7 percent. I am pulling off numbers of a non-diabetic, while having lived with type 1 diabetes for 20 years. I don’t even have an insulin pump. Actually, I take all injections manually and I just deal with whatever I am dealt! For instance, if I stress out, I know I’ll see my blood sugars go up just a little – since it’s all very sensitive and complicated. Despite this, keto makes it significantly easier to manage.
Outside of blood sugars, my complete metabolic panel was also wonderful, per my blood results! It is amazing what keto can do. I am so thankful to be on this journey and to have the best health I possibly can!
Keto Baked Brie with Brown Sugar Pecan Glaze
- 16 oz Round Brie
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 cup Chopped Pecans
- 1/2 tsp Pink Salt
- 1/2 cup Sukrin Gold (a Brown Sugar Alternative)
- 1 tsp Maple Extract
- 1 tsp Lemon, Juice
- 4 tbsp Pinot Grigio
- 1/4 tsp Xantham Gum
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F, 177 degrees C.
- Place your brie on a baking sheet, lined with a silicone mat. Bake the brie for 12-15 minutes. (When done, it'll be gooey and soft to the touch!)
- In a small skillet, over medium-low heat, melt your butter. Add your pecans and salt. Stir occasionally for about 5 minutes. (Tip: do not step away, as pecans can burn easily!)
- Next, add the brown sugar/Sukrin Gold, maple extract, lemon juice, and Pinot Grigio. Stir until incorporated.
- To thicken the glaze, add xantham gum.
- Pour your pecans and glaze over your brie. Serve immediately (while warm) and enjoy!! (We ate this with a spoon, but keto crackers or strawberry slices would also be great!)