This Keto Creamy Chicken, Spinach, & Rice soup is packed with nutrients, protein, and fats! The chicken is cooked in butter and is thus wonderfully melt in your mouth tender. It’s hearty and reminiscent of chicken and rice, but instead it has cauliflower rice and spinach included. It’s very satisfying without the need for any heavy carbs. With plenty of cream cheese, chicken bone broth, and heavy whipping cream, this soup is creamy and comforting.
Keto & Vegetables
For a while, it was warmish, about 50 degrees F (10 degrees C). Now, it’s diving back into the 20’s (-6 degrees C) and below – with freezing rain accompanied. With such weather, all I want to do is eat this soup and nap! This soup really provides tremendous comfort, while packing in vegetables. If anyone is concerned that you aren’t getting enough vegetables in your diet while on keto, show them this recipe!
One Meal a Day
I have this recipe noted to serve 5 people. Actually, I dove into one meal a day yesterday, so ate about half of this soup! It was unbelievably filling. I actually had issues with my blood sugars after eating such a large amount in one setting. Most likely, I won’t stick to one meal a day anytime soon. My macros ended up being 22 total carbs, 9 grams of fiber, 104 grams of fat, 108 grams of protein, and 1,520 calories – from eating half the soup. I was a bit on the higher end of protein, which was likely my main issue. As a Type 1 diabetic, any sudden changes to my routine cause quite a few consequences, so I have to be very mindful of everything I eat and how I manage what I eat!
Have any of you tried one meal a day? If so, tell me in the comments if it has worked for you!
Keto Creamy Chicken, Spinach, & Rice Soup
- 6 medium Chicken Thighs
- 4 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 2 bags Cauliflower Rice (Frozen) *I like Birds Eye brand
- 2 cups Frozen Spinach
- 1/4 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3 cups Chicken Bone Broth
- 8 oz Original Cream Cheese
- 1 cup Shredded Parmesan
- 1 medium Bay Leaf
Spices & Seasonings:
- 1.5 tsp Pink Salt *For Chicken
- 1 tsp Black Pepper *For Chicken
- 2.5 tsp Pink Salt *For Soup
- 1 tsp Black Pepper *For Soup
- 1/2 tsp Xantham Gum
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1.5 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- Fresh Parsley (Optional)
- In a 5.5 quart dutch oven, over medium heat, melt your butter.
- Season your chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to dutch oven. Flip once or twice, until chicken is fully cooked. (Your chicken will be browned and at a temperature of 165 degrees F / 74 degrees C, when cooked.)
- Set chicken aside once cooked, until cool enough to cut into bite size pieces.
- Microwave your frozen cauliflower, according to package's instructions.
- Ensure you scrape up any pieces from the bottom of your dutch oven to get the flavor from your cooked chicken.
- Add your heavy whipping cream and bone broth to dutch oven.
- Add your cauliflower rice to dutch oven. Add your frozen spinach. Add your chicken that's been cut into bite size pieces.
- Add your cream cheese into the dutch oven. Stir until cream cheese is melted and combined.
- Add your spices and seasonings: xantham gum, salt, black pepper, red pepper, garlic, italian seasoning, basil, and chili powder.
- Slowly add your parmesan cheese, continuing to stir as you add it.
- Add your bay leaf.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover dutch oven with lid. Let soup simmer for at least 30 minutes.
- Feel free to top with fresh parsley. Serve and enjoy!