So far, snow and winter weather have dominated 2019 for me. My husband and I live in the Midwest, so we are definitely experiencing intense storms! Unfortunately, I am not sitting on a beach right now. However, I did make the most comforting beef stew to handle all the cold! My husband was convinced this stew included potato, but it simply had cauliflower. This stew is cooked very low and slow, resulting in the tenderest meat and most amazing flavors. It’s a rich and satisfying stew. I’d consider it to be very traditional, without any carb heavy ingredients. It’s also very easy to make – the hardest part will simply be waiting to enjoy it!
Cooking Method: Dutch Oven
For this stew, I specifically used my dutch oven. If you don’t have one, I’d recommend you get one! They’re great for stews, due to their large size and overall construction. They may be one of the most versatile items I own, which is a huge necessity for me. They can tolerate a wide range of temperatures and cooking methods. Here is a great option, if you’re looking for one – https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N501BK/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000N501BK&linkCode=as2&tag=ambersketokit-20&linkId=f8c3fc4f98d3bc6fad1fd7f752384d47 This specific dutch oven is even dishwasher safe! Those are pretty much my 2 kitchen criterion. I like appliances that are not fussy and that are dishwasher safe!
I have this recipe consisting of 3 servings, resulting in just 7 net carbs, 16 g of fat, 34 g of protein, and 330 calories per serving. I’d recommend to incorporate a nice fat-heavy side or dessert to go along with this beef stew! For instance, my cheesecake bites are still fairly low carb, but have a great amount of fat included, with each bite resulting in 120 calories, 11 g of fat, and 1 net carb. They would be a great addition: https://ambersketokitchen.com/recipe/keto-no-bake-coconut-cheesecake-bites/
Hope you enjoy!
Keto Beef Stew
- 8 oz Beef Stew Meat
- 2 tbsp Bacon Fat
- 1/2 cup Yellow Onion, Chopped
- 8 oz Sliced Mushrooms
- 2 cups Cauliflower Florets, Frozen
- 2 1/2 cups Chicken Bone Broth
- 2 tbsp Coconut Flour
- 1 tsp Xantham Gum
- 1 medium Bay Leaf
Spices & Seasonings:
- 1 tbsp Pink Salt
- 2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 medium Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 1 tsp Marjoram
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- In at least a 5.5 qt dutch oven, over medium heat, melt your bacon grease.
- Add your beef stew pieces and onion. Add half of your salt and pepper via the overall total. Cook until meat is slightly browned on the outside (but not cooked all the way through).
- Add your mushrooms to the dutch oven. Add your minced garlic. Stir occasionally, until mushrooms are tender.
- Once mushrooms are cooked, add your remaining ingredients: frozen cauliflower florets, chicken bone broth, coconut flour and xantham gum. Stir together.
- Add your spices/seasonings: remaining salt, remaining pepper, garlic powder, marjoram, and red pepper flakes. Stir.
- Add your bay leaf.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover dutch oven with lid. Let stew simmer for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, stir your stew. Let stew simmer for another 1 hour, uncovered.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!