This Keto Bratwurst & Sauerkraut Casserole is perfect for summertime! It’s very savory, creamy, and comforting. The complementary pairing of bratwurst and sauerkraut is obvious. The sauerkraut in this dish is not very tangy, due to the dairy involved. There certainly is quite a bit used, though. You’ll be sure to get a great serving of probiotics with this meal!
Keto Bratwurst Ingredients – Tips
When making this Keto Bratwurst & Sauerkraut Casserole, the ingredients you choose to use are very important! For instance, our bratwurst included ingredients of pork and then 2% or less of everything else. Be sure to look on your label for any corn syrup, which may show up as a main ingredient. This is best avoided! Also, be careful with any flavoring. Although delicious, you won’t want to choose beer bratwursts in this instance, as they’ll almost always have more carbs. I actually found a Great Value brand to meet my preferred needs. If possible, freshly made bratwurst from your butcher would be the best approach, but this absolutely is not necessary.
Homemade Sauerkraut for Casserole
Homemade sauerkraut tastes significantly better to me than store bought sauerkraut. If you can make your sauerkraut ahead of time, even better! It’s very simple to make. Find the steps below.
- You will need to use a processor to shred 1 head of green cabbage.
- Then you’ll want to massage the cabbage with salt, until it becomes very watery.
- Next, you will simply need to add your sauerkraut to mason jars, weighing the sauerkraut down, in order to allow the liquid to rise.
- Then you’ll simply need to cover the jars and the let the sauerkraut ferment for 5 days, pressing the cabbage down further each day.
- Once fermented, refrigerate and enjoy!
If you are looking for other summer recipes, I recommend you give these air fryer franks a try as well – https://ambersketokitchen.com/2018/12/11/keto-cheesy-bacon-wrapped-turkey-franks-air-fryer/
Hope you enjoy!
Keto Bratwurst & Sauerkraut Casserole
- 9.5 oz Bratwursts (Should be 2.5 total)
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/2 cup Chicken Bone Broth
- 1 cup Sauerkraut
- 1 cup Frozen Cauliflower Rice
- 2 tsp Pink Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp Xantham Gum
- 1.5 cup Swiss Cheese, Shredded
- 2 medium Green Onions, chopped
- Preheat your broiler.
- In a 12" (oven safe) skillet, over medium-high heat, cook bratwursts in butter, until browned on all sides. Remove from skillet and once cooled, cut into slices. (Note that the bratwursts don't need to be fully cooked, as they will finish cooking later.)
- To same skillet, add your heavy whipping cream, chicken bone broth, sauerkraut, frozen cauliflower rice, and bratwursts.
- Stir in seasoning: salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, and xantham gum.
- Cover skillet with lid, reduce heat to medium-low, and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
- After simmering, top casserole with shredded swiss cheese. Cover with lid again and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Next, broil casserole for 3 minutes.
- Garnish casserole with green onions. Serve immediately and enjoy!